04 June 2008

shopping

It is crunch time. I have just tried on almost every dress in my wardrobe. I have made outfits, made lists and now armed, I am ready to shop.

and there is much to be done.

the target: have something spectacular, stunning and appropriate to all my summer functions. planned encounters include:

Monday 9 June - Directors Private Preview of the Festival Programme - champagne reception for major donors

Thursday 12 June - Programme Launch - morning press conference, The Playfair Library

Tuesday 1 July - Queens Garden Party - high tea with royalty, Holyrood Palace

Saturday 5 July - Iain & Janes Wedding - guest

Saturday 9 August - Book Festival opening party - evening soiree

Friday 19 September - Kate & Jimmy's rehersal dinner - bbq?

Saturday 20 September - Kate & Jimmy's wedding - maid of honour, Meadowbrook Hall

Saturday 25 October - Carol & Heidi's civil partnership & Leeds Castle reception

Friday 31 October - Anika & Justin's Rehersal Dinner - bowling?

Saturday 1 November - Anika & Justin's black tie wedding - Chicago Wyndham, greeter


That 5 month run includes 10 major semi-formal functions. My mostly retro secretary wardobe does not pack enough ammunition for this kind of campaign. And my second in command, god love him, thinks I look good in everything. There is only one solution. Guerilla tactics. And a credit card.

(I act like this is a military operation because I treat all retail outlets as hostile territory.)

So, with a little finessing of the god saving little black dress, little white dress and a few lucky purchases all I need now is:
- a gorgeous dress ( this one I think)
- navy satin peep toe shoes ( like these?)
- a great handbag (this? or this?)
- an chunky onyx or black pearl necklace
- a strapless bra
- a hat i can meet the queen in
- brown heels (I already own these, but they are a little work-ish, if very sexy on)
- an amazing jacket/wrap (possibly in fuscia or copper)

And that is all. Which is good, because the two flights to america, two trips to kent, a chicago hotel, 2 rental cars, 4 wedding presents and lord knows what else means my budget is fucking ridiculous.

Am I good or what?

4 comments:

jen said...

you will be poor, but you will look hot. and that green dress is ace.

black tie. am i still invited? does this mean satin cocktail dress?

the V said...

1, yes black tie
2, yes, you can still be my date if you're free.
3, am trying to make plans with my parents to see them that weekend too, so they may or may not have booked somewhere etc.
4, in the contingency they are busy with other wedding plans, i have asked anika to book us a double room in the Wyndham (ooh la la) just in case, which can cancel if there are other options worth the cabfare.
4, isn't that dress fucking hot. I half want to wear it to my 10am press conference with my purple stilettos (it's got a 007 theme), but just don't think they'll understand the subtle distinction of 'tongue-in-cheek glam' and 'tart'.

Heidi Renée said...

I still have my Ascot hat from My Fair Lady. Would that do?

Crazy that you're coming home (well, sort of) twice in two months!

jen said...

you know how much i love the grady clan. i am all about it.

a fancy hotel--i love it.

men in suits--i love as well.

and well, i don't even need to speak of my love for dresses.

yeah, that dress may be slightly overkill, but who cares? you'll be t he one turning heads. i love it!