26 June 2008

Last night I was trying to remember my childhood friends. There were lots, and most I don't even remember their names. Which isn't really all that sad, because what I remember is shucking corn at meijer and building sandcastles and the time we went to devil's lake.

But here was my childhood in a nutshell:
- I lived in 13 houses between birth and age 18
- I went to 4 different elementary schools
- I lived in 3 different states

I used to think the accident being right when I hit adolescence stunted me somehow - I spent my tween years trying to be a grown up and hold shit together and have been cryogenically frozen maturity wise. put on pause.

But sometimes I wonder if growing up all over, with lots of change and all sorts of people and adventures meant when my parents settled down when I was 13 and lived in the same town with the same baseball team and same bike paths I stagnated. I didn't know how to settle properly and never really did. I didn't really want to.

I loved growing up in back alleys, with crack whores and a pot smoking dad and midnight picnics and our own dingy strawberry patch outside our subsidised duplex. when my parents went middle class maybe I gave up.

I wonder if I'll ever grow out of that.

No comments: