21 June 2008

the depths

I think I have come to a momentous (and still semi-confidential decision).

I have to leave Scotland.

Not today, or even next week. Probably not for a year or two yet, if I can manage, but soon. Maybe sooner than expected.

I think there are three main reasons for this, all of which I am coming to accept as valid life choices.

1: It is eating me alive. The everyday struggle against a terrain that was not meant for human settlement is slowly seeping into my bones. Call it SAD, call is depression, call it too many cobbles for my already sad ankles, or the unclimb-able hills that make every outing a fucking marathon. The weeks and weeks of bland gray nothing that wipes out all memory of what a nice day was. That makes you forget you even like being outdoors and the house arrest sofa coma induces total apathy. The weather and landscape, while awe inspiring, are just not built for my sad little body. And every day I have less inclination to talk a walk, see my friends, run the errands and worst - it sucks all interest in the carpe diem adventures I live for out of my soul.

2: The social structure is untenable. Partly it's a nationalist goverment without an economic leg to stand on. Partly it's the forever chip on the shoulder about the english, americans and consequently the rest of the world. Partly it's the terrible health care and constant construction. But mostly it's a horribly inadequate domestic policy and community spirit which sees 14 year old puking on 500 year old statues. It sees little old ladies being mugged at the end of my road. It's the day I fall down in a construction site, and none of the construction workers help me up. The regulations binding this town aren't improving the quality of life - and they are drawing big chalk lines between people who lose all scope of anything but their own best interests. It's a horrible, sad place. And so dirty. And no, I don't want to live in a city like London or New York that puts those bits far far away from the middle class people like me and pretends it's not there - but I also don't know how we are all supposed to keep living in this hell hole when everyone is so goddamn selfish and alone. Where even making eye contact in the street is too much effort.

3: I have no where to go. All my college friends left. All my current friends are social acquaintences without any real depth, and I am both too tired and too bored to try and reconnect with my life. And my job is pretty much the end of the line. I am the foremost person in my field, and it's a little early to be at my peak. I can't keep doing this, and there is nowhere else to go.


In short: it's a fucking pickled mess of horse shit.

5 comments:

Heidi Renée said...

That's heavy stuff.

But America would love to have you back!

L-Squared said...

I concur. There's this new guy called Barack Obama who is going to come on his cloud of glory and save this place. You might not even recognize it if you return, what with all the hope.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Lauren and Heidi, Obamamania is sweeping the land filling us with hope. Unless you are a Republican, then I think he's a thorn in your McCainiac side. This is also a shameless plee for you to read my weird blog.
http://busfolk.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I should mention this is Sandra R.

the V said...

The idea of a hopefully american horizon is actually overwhelming. I feel I can't actually look it straight in the eye or it might skiter away. So I am sideways glancing, suspicious but willing to be turned.