05 December 2009

In the Best of Blog 2009, I am meant to reflect on the book that mattered most.

I have read something like 300 books this year.

It's been a good year for reading, especially because I read more than one grown up book. Some even by dead people, which is unheard of in my line of work.

But for the best, I'm at a loss. some brilliant picture books (Ernest is particularly adorable), I thoroughly enjoyed Cranford and the second Patrick Ness was compelling.

The only book that still haunts me is Tender Morsels. It's fucking brilliant and absolutely affecting. It is adolescence, womanhood and poetry at their most raw and brutal. Not for many, and you have to stomach the first 100 pages, but it is insanely beautiful. but I hesitate to recommend it, it just might kill you.

No comments: