02 May 2008

sundries

The Good(ish) News:
- I have a rather exhorbitant Amazon gift voucher from my christmas present that I haven't the faintest clue what to do with. I am open to suggstions. The front runners right now are an awesome dustbuster or a Wii.

- I had the honour of accepting the inaugeral 'Green Giant of the Month' award at the office this week. A device implimented to encourage all of us to be active in our environmental policies and decision making. Perhaps I am a latent hippy after all. I should really get a picture though - it's awesome. A can of green giant sweet corn (nibbles original! it tells me) mounted on a wooden base branded with my new title like a boy scout would have learned to do with an electric drill. It's fucking amazing.

- It was nice enough today I had lunch in the park and treated myself to a waffle cone as I watched the water spray in our gaudy new-classical 10m tall fountain. It was very cheerful.

- We are making a concerted effort at getting a social life. Like going to things and being nice to people and returning phone calls. So far we have hosted and been invited to two dinner parties and no one threw up or yelled at us AND we've been invited back. Other than my niggling qualms we are totally couply yuppie freaks, it's quite nice. Liam even has a play date with the guys from said couples - they are playing retarded 'grown-up' boardgames. It's fucking adorable. And a bit sad. Maybe this should have gone in the bad(ish) section below.

- My bridesmaids dresses came. Long story short - JCrew hates Britain, so I had to order several, ship them to my dad's secretary, have her FedEx them here so now I can have a fashion show of scrutiny and immediately return the rejected. The fabrics are not as luscious as I imagined on some of them, but hopefully my dressing room weekend will yield results. More anon.


The Bad(ish) News:
- Ms. Kesler is retiring. After like 100 million years as the guru of early strings. They are having a whole banquet and concert and like charity fundraiser or something. It's kind of really sweet, and although I thought for many years she was out to kill me (or at least rip my metaphorical balls off and humiliate me in front of the semi-cute cellists and bass players), she was actually a really nice lady who dedicated her life to something inspiring and really quite sentimental.

So, I made a donation to the trust fund in her name that will continue to give smallish scholarships to mediocre child musicians to raise their self esteem and keep Blue Lake Fine Arts camp in business. (And lucky for me, the dollar is worth nothing, so my nominal donation looks like a whopper.). I feel like a magic fairy - 'you shall go to band camp!'.

- I am still ill. The medication they give me actually makes it worse. It's fucking ridiculous. And Liam, trying to be helpful and supportive, is insisting we home diagnose by altering my diet. I am current living without dairy (except that ice cream cone at lunch. whoops.). It is shit.

And that my friends, is all. Isn't my life thrilling?

2 comments:

Angela said...

If I were you, I'd go for the Wii. Especially since the Wii Fit is coming out soon, and it looks AWESOME.

I wish I could go back for Ms. Kesler's retirement festivities. Ah well. She's a good person.

Heidi Renée said...

I'd heard about Ms. Kesler. DeWald is probably not far behind. It's like the end of OHS' musical supremacy, or something. First Greenberg, then Barry, now the rest are starting to go.

Jason has a Wii and really enjoys it. I don't play video games at all, but I sort of want Wii Fit for the yoga and aerobics part. I am a fat cow who's too embarrassed to go to the Y or a community ed-type class.

It's so cute that boys' night consists of board games. Whatever happened to getting sloshed at the titty bar? Though I suppose strip Risk could be better than that--though only in mixed gender company. Lose a country, lose a clothing item. Will have to keep this in mind for next time we spend the evening in.

I want to hear all about bridesmaid dresses. I am in denial that my wedding is over.

Last thing: Enter my Pay It Forward contest. Unlike J Crew, I don't have my panties bunched about shipping to Scotland.