10 May 2010

joie de vivre

I realised something momentous today.

I know what I want to do with my life. Of course, I've always sort of known in that vaguely intuitive, childish way - but not really articulated it.

I doubt I can do so here because as always, I never make things easy for myself.

Turns out what I want to do isn't a job or an occupation or a career. It's not an act or series of acts. It's not achievement driven or on a measurable path.

But I know what it is, and I am pretty sure I can guess what it isn't.

Here are things it is:
sharing
learning
growing
encouraging
inspiring
passion
joy

Here are things I will do:
talk
write
discuss
create
perform

But the fundamental thing I missed when I thought I had my perfect job, is that I am too far removed. I spend my time curating great art - and facilitating the meaningful, enlightening discussion of artist and audience.

But I don't want to be the facilitator, juggling the needs and desires of others, or managing other people's talent anymore.

I want to be involved. I want to share my voice. Inspire with my passions. Teach what I know in this old soul.

I think at first glance documentary films (a la the Discovery Channel) and journalism are my first port of call - but I could go anywhere.

Maybe I'll lecture in colleges (I might teach, but I won't teach those who don't want to learn). Maybe I'll tour conferences and festivals giving talks. Maybe I will become a Charlie Rose talking head somewhere down the line, but that's not an ambition, it's a bi-product of being an expert in what you do.


I believe learning is growing, and growing is the path to personal development and well being. I want to live that journey and share it with others. I am ready to discover what this world has to offer and spend my life sharing that joy with you.

So thanks, in advance, for tolerating my joie de vivre.

1 comment:

Heidi Renée said...

Isn't figuring out (and owning up to) what you want the hardest part?

If you become a talking head, please don't do your hair like Nancy Grace. You are so much cuter than that.

:)