07 March 2009

catch up

It's been a while.

Sorry about that. Sometimes I'm so busy trying to survive (or possibly forget) I don't really bother to reflect or report.

Let's review February's highlights:

- I visted my folks for a week. It was pretty much steak, pizza, movies, random philosophical chat, even more random tv and bucket loads of nothing. It was so great.

- while in dear old Okemos, I also had my cousin over for a sleepover. We watched a High School musical knock off about show choir on Nickelodeon. It was hilarious and yet heart warming.

- I also turned 27. I am in my late 20s, which doesn't matter to anyone in my world, since they are all 45 or 15, but it's somehow a bigger thing that the last few have been. To celebrate, my dad took me to the bar and we talked about things. It was really unremarkable and somehow exactly perfect.

- a week back in, the stress and madness are like I never left. I managed to miss out on a lot of drama (it was even in the press) and now I'm playing mad catch up and trying not to burn out.

- but Thursday, was great. In case you live under a rock (read: not professionally involved in childhood literacy) it was World Book Day. A fantastic holiday with very very low expectations. I was the guest speaker at the local dual campus boarding school. I kid you not- girls school, boys school, blazers, head teachers in tweed everything St Trinians and Enid Blyton taught you to wish for. I gave a lecture at both schools to the entirety of their freshman class then MC'ed a book award ceremony after school. I did not stay for their rendition of Merchant of Venice. It was adorable and exhausting. I have never had so much respect for teachers - and never been so disappointed in adults playing up to the stereotypes of single sex education. But, i seem to have gathered a fan club (one kid even asked me for a job after), and it was all happy disney in the end. yay.

So today I'm doing laundry, washing my hair and unpacking the last few boxes to remind myself I have a normal everyday life I've been neglecting of late. It's really quite refreshing.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

In response to your query, did you know Jim Sturgeon at all? It was him, and it was un-fucking-believable. Unfortunately our schedules didn't really allow for a functioning relationship. There simply weren't enough hours in the day. Bummer, but I have my eye on someone new.